Thursday, March 09, 2006

Funeral

Richard Patrick Terra, a co-worker, father, and nice fellow, was celebrated and laid to rest today. I didn't know him well, though I worked with him every day and talked to him fairly often.

I don't really know that I have anything else to say about it, except that he will be missed, that he was obviously a smart man and a great father, and that funerals are horribly depressing things. Gimme a bar full of loud drunk friends and family laughing and fighting about me. Or gimme a quiet exit, unnoticed, barely remarked upon. Just don't give me a Catholic funeral in a sterile funeral home conducted by a priest who didn't even know me or my family.

If it seems tacky or out of line to be critical of something like this, sorry. It's not so much criticism as it is the inevitable reflection and projection you go through during and after attending a funeral.

1 comment:

kachika said...

I don't like funerals either. I don't think I attended any other funerals after I reached 12.