Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rainy Sunday

When a truly rainy day comes to a climate like ours, you must take advantage. And as the rain spat steadily throughout the course of the day today, take advantage I did.

I burrowed deeper into bed for a long while before getting up, listening to the drops ping off the roof and windows. Then I lingered over coffee and an omelet while reading one more article from the paper, then one more, then one more.

Laundry into the machine, kitchen cleared and cleaned, garden quickly harvested.

I spent a good couple hours in the shop out back, trying my luck with some crunchy bearings in my road wheels. I listened to lots of music (this weather always brings out the jazz cravings, so it was Von Freeman and Nicholas Payton and Charlie Haden taking turns), I drank loads of coffee, and I watched the rain fall.

The hounds and I braved a brief respite in the drizzle to take a walk on the paved hill in the Military Reserve. The skies reopened on us at almost precisely the halfway point, which of course is also the farthest point from home. It was briefly windy and cold and coming down in buckets, but as it quickly subsided into a heavy mist and I knew clean clothes and a free afternoon awaited me at home, I didn't rush. I just enjoyed it.

Dinner was gumbo from the Louisiana chicken joint with cornbread and salad, and I watched Volver (Cruz in Almodovar, actually a pretty fantastic movie), then I read some more (Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell, which is quickly gaining traction), and then it was off to bed.

All in all a wonderful day. We could use a few more of these here in the high desert. Days like these are good for the soul.

No comments: