Sunday, November 16, 2008

For Eleanor Rae


On Thursday, November 13th, our daughter Eleanor Rae left us.

She never quite made it into this world, but for 6 months she was a real and tangible part of our every-minute lives. She had it tough from the start, and though we and especially Cathy did everything we could to help her grow strong, the odds and the genetic code were stacked against her.

It's amazing how deeply you can become attached to someone you've never met. The intensity of emotion during this time has left us both reeling. On the positive side, I've never felt as close to my wife as I do now. I've seen things in her, the depths of her character, that I probably knew were there but had never had the cause or opportunity to witness. She's a hell of a strong person and I'm proud to be with her.

From this experience, I can begin to understand why people change so much when they have kids. I've caught a tiny glimpse into a world where you are responsible for something larger than yourself. I've felt the pull of that connection, and I understand the drive for it.

Eleanor was tough and spirited. She tried mightily to overcome the hand dealt to her. And her fight was our fight, something we lived for every minute. No other relationship or community or cause has ever taken such a powerful hold over me. And it just happened. I didn't try to do it or have to consider any options or anything like that. It just happened. That's a pretty amazing thing.

Eventually we'll come to understand or at least deal with this. We'll always remember it, and I think that'll make us stronger. We're going to buy a brick at the Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial here in Boise. It seems a fitting tribute.

2 comments:

S Reed said...

Chris and Cathy,

I was reading Chris' blog and read about Eleanor Rae. I feel terrible I haven't made more attempts at keeping better in touch. I wasn't aware you two were expecting parents last year--- or the terrible news the baby didn't make it to us. This dear one is still clearly with you in your hearts as she will always be, that is truly an inspiration. Know you are loved. xo peace Sandra B.

S Reed said...

Chris and Cathy,

I was reading Chris' blog and read about Eleanor Rae. I feel terrible I haven't made more attempts at keeping better in touch. I wasn't aware you two were expecting parents last year--- or the terrible news the baby didn't make it to us. This dear one is still clearly with you in your hearts as she will always be, that is truly an inspiration. Know you are loved. xo peace Sandra B.