Monday, January 07, 2013

Bird Dog


Josie came to live with us a few months ago. I've been interested in bird hunting for a while, but never had the impetus to try it out. Now, I do. So our good friend Bill offered to take us to his favorite spot to see how she did. I bought a $1.75 hunting passport, with Bill as my mentor, and off we went.


We didn't get any chukar, but we did see at least a half-dozen covies that flushed from very far away. Not certain if that's because it's late season and they're wary, or because of Josie's unbridled enthusiasm. But, Bill got a couple shots off, and we had a fantastic day hiking this beautiful area for 4+ hours.


Josie did well. The amount of ground she can cover, seemingly effortlessly, is just staggering to me. Amazing energy and speed, and no fear whatsoever of a shotgun blast. It was even more fun than I imagined. I can't wait to get out there with her again.

No comments: