Thursday, August 18, 2005

March of the Penguins

If you haven't seen this movie yet, go see it. I caught it last night at The Flicks, by myself even, and I have to say that I loved it. I'm a total sucker for nature docs anyway, but even so, the work that went into getting the footage in this film alone is staggering, to say nothing of the beautiful piece of art they turned it into.

There were flaws, of course: I wasn't wild about Morgan Freeman's narration, nor the script that was given him to read, and I thought the end of the film very rushed compared to the cadence of the rest of it. But really, that's it. The saga laid out long form presented a whole nother side to these freaky birds, painting them as worthy of the highest respect for their strength of body and commitment and their fortitude for making this incredible journey over and over again, all for the sake of a single chick that may or may not even survive.

Check it out. I think it's pretty great when the big summer film is something like this, rather than the newest SchwarzeCruise Crapfest.

No comments: