Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Tangents

I'm trying, in my radio show, to explore the tangents of what I like to call indie rock. (Defining indie rock will have to wait for another post: for now, let's just think of it as my own little aesthetic world.) It's in the transitions and contexts that these tangents live. Putting Slint/Paul Newman/Schneider TM in a row; letting a Wilco breakdown lead into a John Fahey exploration; letting Four Tet, Matmos, The Velvet Underground and Isotope 217 bounce around off each other for a while. That's what gets me excited; that's what lets it all fit together in my head.

I do wonder, though, what context people are in while listening to the show. I assume everyone else is sitting at their desk working and listening to it low on crap speakers. Or maybe not. I want your attention, but I'm not going singalong. I want you to hear something that catches your ear and makes you check the player window to see what it is so you can write it down. I want you to have to close your door and turn it way up at least a couple times during the set.

No comments: