Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Weekend in ATX

This weekend I'm flying down to Austin for a few days. No big event, no holiday or music festival or anything, just a weekend visit.

Spoon is playing at Emo's, and there are enough other shows over the course of these 4 days to fill a year's calendar here in Boise. So I'm really looking forward to it.

But the question remains: Must I wax nostalgic every time I go back to Austin for a visit?

There must be a reason I do this. There's the history I have there, sure, but it's more than that. Austin the city seems rooted to cultural traditions, histories, characters, styles, and legends more so than many other places I've been--bigger places and smaller places alike.

That, in a sense, is what I miss here. And it's not just my own lack of history here, it's the lack of a sense of something larger. We're all traveling in our own temporary sports-fueled bubbles, unconnected to anything larger than ourselves or our activities. It seems thin and temporary.

I must remember: These are rose-colored glasses I'm wearing, looking at the present through this idealized vision of the past. I moved for reasons. I'm not still there. Thing is, for the life of me, those reasons don't seem so significant right now.

No comments: