Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Austin

So, Austin.

Every time I do this I swear I won't again, but here I've done it again. When I wait til the glow's off the visit, I find that the more astute and profound observations elude me. I had a great time in Austin. It was great to hang out with Eric, as always, and Harlan too.

Rode the shit out of Rocky Hill with my man Oko, and Flat Rock kicked my butt (with a little help from Eric, Jason, and a raging PBR hangover). I rode Eric's new custom ti IF 29er as well as his new all carbon Solis road rig, and I rode his Fireman's Cruiser all around the city, s I came home hating all my bikes.

Spoon was good, though not great.

Serena Maneesh blew.

Polvo's was wonderful, both nights. I had breakfast tacos every day. I missed the barbecue entirely. Hai Ky remains one of my favorite restaurants in town. And the posole at El Sol y La Luna was as wonderful and comforting as I remember.

It was sad to leave. I wish Eric lived here in Boise. Sometimes I wish we lived there in Austin. Harlan bought a new house I can't wait to see. Saw Harold and Sandra, missed Raoul.

No more than a tally, really, but then I guess I should be happy that it's not awful to come back here to Boise. Fall weather's hit in all its glory, and the mountain biking is fantastic right now. This coming weekend is Cathy and I's 5th Anniversary, and though we can't do a big out of town trip, I've got some plans in store.

It's good to be here.

No comments: