Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Impending Departure

This Saturday, Cathy leaves for Myanmar.

She'll be there, traveling with our friend Christina, for about a month. Christmas and New Year's will both slide by before she returns.

Some are baffled by the fact that we often travel separately. Others are totally mystified as to why anyone in their right mind would want to go to Myanmar. I mean, Burma? WTF?

The answers are simple. We travel separately because we are adults who love to travel and our schedules, plans, and desired destinations don't always match up. We both traveled before, and we both continue now. We feel it makes our bond stronger.

And why Burma? Because. We were both captivated by SE Asia on our honeymoon, and it just happens that I couldn't swing a trip of this magnitude right now, while Cathy could, and this trip fit the bill that Cathy and Christina have been trying to fill--a good trip to take together--since they met in Zimbabwe many years ago.

I'm jealous, plain and simple.

This spring Cathy and I will travel together to Jamaica and NYC. Possibly to Amsterdam in the fall. And next year, I'm looking for a big extended outing to New Zealand. Hopefully. If I don't travel to Spain for a trip around the Vuelta.

It's nice to make plans.

But, back to the point of this post: I'm about to be without my wife for a month, including during the holidays.

It's a total drag, but I know she'll have a blast and I know how happy we'll be to see each other when she gets back. And a trip to Driggs over New Year's will soften the blow a good bit.

Happy, safe travels to her.

No comments: