Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lit Up

It's been a long while since I've strapped on the helmet light and rode trail in the dark. I'd forgotten just how intense and invigorating an experience it is.



Varner and I went out and rode 3 Bears around 6pm last night. Wonderful ride. The air was a bit chilly but out of the wind, as we seemed to be everywhere but at the bottom, it was perfect riding weather.








The long climb up was enjoyable until we hit the Bears themselves, and when David climbed away from me a bit I found myself alone in my little circle of light and remembered, too, that riding in the dark sometimes creeps me out a bit. The coyote whoops surrounding us didn't relieve that sense, but it was really cool to hear so close.



The descent, once I got used to going downhill with these lights on again, was fantastic, very focused, skimming the sandy surface and trying to keep my vision trained out ahead, not on that shadow of the front wheel, not on the big rocks and loose rubble that pop into the light and demand attention.





David took a tumble on the Buck Trail, soon after I took the lead, but it was a flatland affair and other than a scraped arm and being a bit shaken up there was no damage. It was a real kick descending for so long into the sea of lights in the city below us. Great views, and the perfect trails for it.


I'm gonna have to try to do this more often.

No comments: