Thursday, February 26, 2009

Windsor for the Derby


Someone tell me how I missed these guys when I lived in their hometown for 10 years?

I just last week decided to have a listen to the new record from Windsor for the Derby, called How We Lost. Blown away. This is some really gorgeous, dense, brilliant music, straddling the universes of indie rock and ambient so effortlessly that it seems they're one in the same.

I liked this record so much I got online and grabbed an older one, Difference and Repetition, which shows me that their newest lies on the far point of their arc, a different point on the trajectory of their music. Where Difference... revels in the void, in the space between the parts, How We Lost is more about the combinations, the fitting together of all things into pop songs that resonate longer than pop songs.

How We Lost is dark and ethereal, very moody, spare and lasting guitar notes playing off each other, echoey drums skitter slowly behind them, and vocals done in the same chamber adding just enough human presence to keep it all from floating away. Sometimes they sound a lot like Yo La Tengo, often more akin to Monroe Mustang or Labradford. In time I'll come to recognize them for them, and maybe to see them in others instead of the other way round.

So, sure, I'm an idiot. These guys were right under my nose, beloved by friends, and I just never caught on. But then again, I get to listen to all of it, now, for the first time. Not so stupid.

No comments: