Monday, March 16, 2009

Neko Is the Horn Section


Cool article in the New Yorker online edition about Neko Case and her new record, Middle Cyclone.

It's a great record--to my mind and ears it's the best thing she's done, building on the style she solidified with Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. She's moving away from country and alt.country into something far more her own. And the new place suits her very well.

SF-J pegs it good here, although he doesn't seem to grab onto the theme that haunts me when I listen to this record: Namely, that Neko in this record is, literally, a force of nature. But that's my interpretation. And yours is...?




1 comment:

Headcase said...

Hess you couldn't be more correct. Neko Case's voice is utilized as an instrument on Middle Cyclone, which I think takes away a bit of her country sound and spotlights her voice in a beautiful way. My only complaint is that the CD jacket, needs more pictures of Case,