Sunday, July 12, 2009

Palin


Sarah Palin's resignation as governor of Alaska came while I was in Montana, fishing, away from phones or TVs or the interwebs or newspapers. When I heard about it I just laughed. I thought surely it's a stunt, some calculation or gambit on running for a much higher office. Though why so soon?

But I must admit I find the people who support her far more fascinating then I do Palin herself. I mean, how could you, right? If W was a big idiotic joke gone too far, Palin was that and so much worse. And people love her. So who are these people? Frank Rich, though a bit snobby, has it right, I think: "She stands for a genuine movement: a dwindling white nonurban America that is aflame with grievances and awash in self-pity as the country hurtles into the 21st century and leaves it behind."

But it can't be that simple. As he says, a recent poll has 71% of Republicans saying they'd vote for her for president. That's just too stupid to be true.


Then there's this article, detailing all the troubles she's had back in Alaska since the presidential election ended. Ethic complaints, family strife, local and state politicians turning against her, shorter work days, etc. It's almost enough to make you feel sorry for her. Almost, but not quite.

I'm of mixed feelings, myself. If they put her up in 2o12, I don't see that she could actually win, so that's good for the Democrats. But to live through a full campaign with her, to think that so many of my countrymen would accept and confirm her as the leader of this country, is just to depressing to consider.

No comments: