Sunday, July 20, 2014

Birthday and Bike Rides


Quite the momentous weekend at the Hess household. Cathy had a birthday, and Theo braved a pedal bike with no training wheels.


We finally made it to State & Lemp. I can't even begin to tell you how good it was. Well, yes I can. The scallop done sous vide in something called Chawanmushi, a custard made of eggs and peas served cold, set the tone. I hate peas. And this was some kind of an amazingly delicious dish that tasted of the most fresh and green pea flavor you can imagine. And I loved it. 


A hearty farro salad, an intermezzo of grapefruit sorbet on crushed up grapefruit merangue, sturgeon that blew the top of my head off with its pickled mustard seed tobiko, lamb with pickled cherries and black olive carmel and OH MY GOD it was so freaking good.


More to say. But I must finish this post.


I took Theo to see Planes 2: Fire and Rescue. In 3D! And it was so, so cool. I don't know which of us was more captivated by it, but safe to say we had a great time.


And Theo made a few valiant efforts at riding this bike with no training wheels. He had a good run, but a few tumbles while standing still and a movie we needed to get to meant we put another run off to another day. He will get it--he's very close. Can't wait to see him ride away. 



No comments: