Monday, January 15, 2007

Back from Minnesota

Everything changes.

Nothing changes.

It was great being in Minnesota this past weekend. The reason for the reunion was, of course, not a happy one, as we were burying my grandmother. But even so, it was great to see everyone.

At first, re-meeting folks and saying overdue hellos and catching up, it seemed I'd lost track of so much. That everything and everyone had changed drastically since the last time I'd visited this part of the country.

But as the weekend wore on, the years fell away, the growth and movement and change breaking ahead of the onrush of memory and familiarity. We'd all grown apart and lived our lives and turned into different people, the sums of all our vast experiences, but at the same time we were still those kids who got together a couple times a year for nothing but fun.

I got to go ice fishing, and I got to sit and talk to people I don't get to sit and talk to enough. The hospitality, the company, everything, fit like a glove.

You may not be able to stay there, but you CAN go home, if only for a little while.

No comments: