Monday, January 19, 2009

Day of Service


In joining with the spirit of MLK Day and Barack Obama's request that we make this holiday a day of service, Cathy signed us up to go to the Veterans' Home here in Boise and help out. The Old Time Fiddlers had a gig in the cafeteria this afternoon, and they needed help setting up chairs and bringing residents to and from the show.


As you'd expect, it was a pretty great experience. These people have a lot to offer and to teach us. But mostly it's just nice to talk. I found myself having to get over the knee-jerk feeling that I've got to go, got things to do. Once I did, I enjoyed myself quite a bit.


The band played all sorts of classic old-time and country tunes, along with a few originals from members of the band. Like Velma here, who did a beautiful tune she wrote about her native Nebraska.


Cathy even got to cut a rug to Tennessee Waltz, though somehow I didn't manage to get a picture of it. She and her partner, navy pilot James Halcomb, had quite a turn at the front of the room.


Good way to spend MLK Day.

No comments: