Thursday, June 04, 2009

Eating Us


Tobacco, the leader of the somewhat mysterious and fairly brilliant band Black Moth Super Rainbow, really came into his own with his eponymous solo debut last year. He's a hit in remix circles, double-billed at summer festivals, and teaming up with some great indie MCs. But this year he's back with BMSR, and their newest release, Eating Us, is even better than last year's Tobacco.

For one thing, it's a bit mellower. There's still plenty of power in these tracks, no shortage of gut-shaking beats and fuzzed out keyboards, but there's more space in the songs, longer notes and less grate. And the chill suits them well.

Tobacco hides behind a vocoder full time, but on this record it feels less intrusive, more organic, than on previous BMSR records. And on some tracks, like "Twin of Myself," it's even downright pleasant to listen to.

I've been trying to unravel this band a bit in my mind since my friend Dave turned me onto them years ago, and sometimes I feel like I'm right there, but more often it's slipped my grasp and left the heavy rotation. With Eating Us, though, I think I've made that connection.

No comments: